CotEcast #5: Shownotes
Title: The F Word
Host(s): Mark & James
Guest(s): Matt Rudd (Geriatrics Specialty Trainee), Zoe Wyrko (Consultant Geriatrician)
Opening Question: Which medical eponym would you re-name after yourself?
Main Topic: Frailty and FrailSafe
- What is frailty?
- Discussion around the common misconceptions, why is it important to recognise, and whether it can be measured
- Overview of Frailsafe project, including explanation, aims, and discussion of why needed
- How people can get involved, and hopes for the future
- Practical suggestions for generalists to improve recognition/care of frail elderly patients
- Think ‘frailty’ for every patient that you see
- Get collateral history about usual level of function
- Beware iatrogenesis!
References, Links and Resources:
- ‘Frailty in Elderly People’; Clegg, Lancet, 2013
- BGS Blog on Teaching Frailty
- BGS ‘Fit for Frailty’ document
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with comments, questions, suggestions